#151 – Don’t Spare The Horses When Performing. On this episode of The Business Side of Music, we have a conversation with legendary performer Royce Taylor, who talks about his early days of being in the music business, winding up on a worldwide Elvis Presley tribute concert tour, and after all these years on the road, why he doesn’t hold back when performing on stage, keeping his show fresh each night.
Starting out thinking he would be a preacher, Royce found himself singing in the church as a hobby. But as fate (and God) would have it, one thing led to another, and in a short amount of time, he formed the group The Chords, and in the following 12 years, went on to perform at hundreds of corporate events and county fairs, along the way releasing 16 albums.
A child of the ’50s, he grew up in a Mennonite Church and was self-taught when it came to singing. He went on to work as an on-air radio personality at WKTX FM in Ohio.
He’s gone on to perform with such legendary groups as “The Imperials,” “The Vogues,” and Elvis’ longtime vocal backup group “The Stamps,” along with sharing the stage with The Righteous Brothers, The Beach Boys, Frankie Avalon, Gary Puckett, and The Union Gap, and Peter Noone.
For more information on Royce, his music, and his upcoming tour dates, check out his website at www.lynnroycetaylor.com
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2021 Beyond the Music
- Co-Produced and Hosted (by the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer, Creator, and Technical Advisor (the man behind the curtain): Tom Sabella
- Director of Video and Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Audio/Video Midnight Express Studio Olian, NY: Mark Sabella
- Marketing and Social Media: Kaitlin Fritts
- Talent Acquisition and Scheduling (the one who keeps us on track) Tammy Kowalski
- All Around Problem Solver and keeper of the key to the vault: Connie Ribas
- Recorded at: The Bunker in Franklin, TN (except during the Covid 19 pandemic, then it’s pretty much done VIA Skype or Zoom, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender’s living room, which is now his studio… and there are a few).
- Mixed and Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Production Sound Design: Keith Stark
- Voice Over and Promo: Lisa Fuson
- Website: businesssideofmusic.com
- Stream or Download (free) businesssideofmusic.com
- To submit to be interviewed: email@example.com
- Sponsorship information businesssideofmusic.com/sponsor-affiliate/
- Join our mailing list for show announcements, career advice, industry discounts, free gifts, and more. Like Free
- Special Thanks to Tom Sabella and Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original “Business Side of Music” podcast and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
For our disclaimer and all its details, please click on the applicable link on our website.
The music provided for this episode is from:
Artist: Heidi Newfield
Single: Love Blind
Album: The Barfly Sessions
Composer: Heidi Newfield, Sharon Vaughn, Kevin Bowe