The Music Biz is challenging, scary, and full of the unknown. Entertainment attorney and author Kamal Moo wants to help you avoid mistakes along the way.
In this episode, we talk with Kamal about his book “The Straightforward Guide to the Music Biz” and about why it’s a must-read for anyone looking for a clear, simple, and concise overview of how the music industry is organized and the typical contracts musicians and songwriters will encounter.
As Moo notes, “the purpose of this book is to be more of a reference handbook or ‘how-to’ manual, so you’ll find that I don’t spend too much time discussing abstract legal or business theories. Also, that’s why the chapter titles are so straightforward – I’m just trying to give you the distilled information as efficiently as I can. Hence the title of this book.”
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2020 Beyond the Music
- Co-Produced and Hosted (by the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer, Creator and Technical Advisor (the man behind the curtain): Tom Sabella
- Director of Video and Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Editor (the “ums’ and “aahs’ removal guy who makes us sound good): Mark Sabella
- Marketing and Social Media: Kaitlin Fritts
- Executive Assistant to Bob and Tom, and editor for the Blog: Meagan Droke
- All Around Problem Solver: Connie Ribas
- Recorded at: The Bunker in Franklin, TN (except during the Covid 19 pandemic, then it’s pretty much done VIA Skype or over the phone, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender’s living room… and there are a few).
- Mixed and Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Production Sound Design: Keith Stark
- Voice Over and Promo: Lisa Fuson
- Website: businesssideofmusic.com
- Stream or Download (free) businesssideofmusic.com
- To submit to be interviewed: email@example.com
- Sponsorship information businesssideofmusic.com/sponsor-affiliate/
- Join our mailing list for show announcements, career advice, industry discounts, gifts, and more. Like Free
- Special Thanks to Tom Sabella and Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original “Business Side of Music” podcast and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
For our disclaimer and all its details, please click on the applicable link on our website.
The music provided for this episode is from:
Artist: Jim Witter
Single: “Christmas Memories”