We all have an idea on what it takes to get the music process from creation to consumption. The path taken has changed dramatically and historically over the past 20 years or so. At the same time, the one thing that has remained constant is that people love to create, and people love to listen. With all the new technology and ways to distribute music, how does the creative person, while rising above the clutter of all the releases out in the world, ensure that you get properly compensated for your work?
The consumer end of things have stabilized to a point where the listener can find your music, but at the same time, can the money trail find you as the official owner and registrant of your material? What if you’re a co-writer on a song? Do you know the legal name(s) of the other writers on your song? Do you have the proper metadata to ensure that your songs are registered properly?
There are 5 identifiers which control who’s doing what when it comes to registering your song, and these are used worldwide. Niclas Molinder and his partners have created a new company called “Session” which can help simplify the process for you, and code your creative content with those five identifiers that will help smooth the revenue stream for you.
Niclas Molinder is an award-winning songwriter, music producer and musician who also leads several organizations focused on transforming the music industry’s management of data and rights for the benefit of creators. After 20 years of songwriting and producing for artists such as Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Mary J Blige and The Jonas Brothers, as well as running his own publishing company RedFly Music – the Swedish entrepreneur has become the figurehead for pioneering solutions for the massive value gap in the music industry.
In 2019, Niclas Molinder partnered with Bjorn Ulvaeus (of ABBA fame) and Max Martin to found Session, the world’s first independent global hub for authoritative music metadata sourced from creators, built to ensure creators get the credit they deserve. Molinder’s vision is to bring the global music industry and technologists together to create a standard for how music creators and their representatives are identified in their contribution to songs – so everyone can get credited and correctly compensated when their music is used.
In 2016, Niclas also founded Music Rights Awareness Foundation, an apolitical foundation that works to provide an educational solution to the value gap in industry, by increasing knowledge of music rights worldwide, adjusted to the future industry.
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2022 Lotta Dogs Productions LLC
- Showrunner and Executive Producer Emeritus: Tom Sabella
- Producer and Host (the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer – Audio/Video Editor (the man behind the curtain): Mark Sabella
- Director of Video and Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Marketing and Social Media (all knowing): Sarah Fleshner for 362 Entertainment
- All Around Problem Solver (and Mental Health Therapist for us): Connie Ribas
- Recorded inside an old beat up Airstream Trailer located somewhere on what’s left of Music Row in Nashville TN (except during pandemics, then it’s pretty much been accomplished VIA Zoom or over the phone, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender’s dining room… and there have been a few that have survived).
- Mixed and Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Editing and Post at Midnight Express Studio located in Olian, NY
- Production Sound Design: Keith Stark
- Voice Over and Promo: Lisa Fuson
Special Thanks to the creator and founder of the podcast, Tom Sabella, along with Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original “Business Side of Music” podcast and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
If you would like to be a guest on the show, please submit a request to:
If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor for the show, let us know and we’ll send you a media / sponsorship kit to you. Contact us at email@example.com