On this episode, we talk with Dave Philp and Steve Marcone, authors of the book “Managing Your Band: A Guide to Artist Management”. This book is considered the go-to guide for artist management in the new music industry, especially independent artists taking the DIY route. Industry insiders Steve and Dave tackle the work and knowledge required of an artist manager and band member, focusing on earning revenue from an artist’s three major revenue streams: songwriting and publishing, live performance, and recording. The book investigates the roles of the many industry intermediaries, illustrating how many of today’s artists, including DIY artists, function as their own entertainment companies.
This seventh edition of the book includes updated information for the twenty-first-century artist and manager, including key information on the impacts of COVID-19 on the industry.
In the late 1960’s and early 70’s, as a trumpet player in a rock music group, Steve Marcone, Ed.D recorded for Epic Records and toured the country taking an active role in the creative and managerial aspects of the ensemble. In 1973, he joined the faculty of the School of Music at Syracuse University and stayed until 1984. During that time, he was also Vice President of the Syracuse Musicians Association (Local #78). In 1984, he came to the William Paterson University of New Jersey where he was Chairperson of the Music Department for 15 years, and for two years, was Interim Dean of the College of the Arts and Communication. He retired July 1, 2020 as the Coordinator of the Billboard Magazinerecognized undergraduate and MBA Music & Entertainment Industries programs.
He is the author (with Dave Philp) of Managing Your Band, in its 7th edition. He has written articles for many publications and has lectured at numerous universities and National and Regional Conferences. He was a frequent lecturer on Rock Music for the NJ Council on the Humanities. He is the co-host of the Music Biz101 & Moreradio show/podcast. For 30+ years Marcone conducted the university’s Summer Jazz Ensemble. Professor Marcone holds a B.A., M.M., and Ed.D. from Syracuse University.
Professor David Kirk Philp runs Dadager Entertainment, managing independent artists Zach Matari and Gina Royale as well as social media influencer/composer TimaLikesMusic. In addition, Philp is coordinator of the Music & Entertainment Industries and Popular Music Studies programs at William Paterson University and the co-host of the Music Biz 101 & More radio show/podcast with Dr. Stephen Marcone. The Professor has worked for the Universal Music Group, PolyGram Video, and Greater Media Broadcasting. The man has a BM from the aforementioned William Paterson University and an MBA from Pace University. He is married to one wife and the father of two girls, all of whom are left
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2022 Lotta Dogs Productions LLC
- Showrunner and Executive Producer Emeritus: Tom Sabella
- Producer and Host (the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer – Audio/Video Editor (the man behind the curtain): Mark Sabella
- Director of Video and Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Marketing and Social Media (all knowing): Sarah Fleshner for 362 Entertainment
- All Around Problem Solver (and Mental Health Therapist for us): Connie Ribas
- Recorded inside an old beat up Airstream Trailer located somewhere on what’s left of Music Row in Nashville TN (except during pandemics, then it’s pretty much been accomplished VIA Zoom or over the phone, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender’s dining room… and there have been a few that have survived).
- Mixed and Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Editing and Post at Midnight Express Studio located in Olian, NY
- Production Sound Design: Keith Stark
- Voice Over and Promo: Lisa Fuson
Special Thanks to the creator and founder of the podcast, Tom Sabella, along with Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original “Business Side of Music” podcast and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
If you would like to be a guest on the show, please submit a request to:
If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor for the show, let us know and we’ll send you a media / sponsorship kit to you. Contact us at email@example.com