Amazon Prime Film “Nocturne” – the Music Supervisor’s Role
In this episode, we travel out to Los Angeles CA (actually Studio City) to be in the studio with Ryan Neill who is the Vice President of Music Production & Music Supervisor for Spirit Music Collective. He’s worked on such projects as Hallmark Movie Mystery Channel’s “Darrow & Darrow”, along with the Hallmark Film “Christmas at Dollywood” with Dolly Parton.
Ryan started out at CSUB Northridge performing as a Trumpet major, and his goal was to play in the bands there, and figure it out from there. He wound up getting a job at Tri-Crown Productions, before taking a position at Spirit Music Collective which oversees music supervisors, music editors, and composers. Ryan recently wrapped up the music supervision on the to be released on October 13th, 2020 Amazon Prime Film “Nocturne”, produced by Blumhouse Television.
Ryan explains how the day to day operations of the Music Supervisor works, the difference between creating and acquiring music, and how they manage their library of music.
We then discuss the movie “Nocturne” which is a dramatic thriller that takes place in a high school performing arts academy. We discuss placing “source” music throughout the film, along with how some of it was created from scratch. And then there are the actors in the film, neither of whom knew how to play piano going in, but we’re coached in how to play the piano in such a way, that it looked authentic.
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2020 Beyond the Music
- Co-Produced & Hosted (by the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer, Creator & Technical Advisor (the man behind the curtain): Tom Sabella
- Director of Video & Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Editor (the “ums’ and “aahs’ removal guy who makes us sound good): Mark Sabella
- Marketing & Social Media: Kaitlin Fritts
- Executive Assistant: Meagan Droke
- All Around Problem Solver: Connie Ribas
- Recorded at: The Bunker in Franklin, TN (except during the Covid 19 pandemic, then it’s pretty much done VIA Skype or over the phone, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender’s living room… and there are a few).
- Mixed & Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Voice Over & Promo: Lisa Fuson
- Website: businesssideofmusic.com
- Stream or Download (free) businesssideofmusic.com
- To submit to be interviewed: email@example.com
- Sponsorship information businesssideofmusic.com/sponsor-affiliate/
- Join our mailing list for show announcements, career advice, industry discounts, free gifts, and more. Like Free
Special Thanks to Tom Sabella and Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original “Business Side of Music” podcast, and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
For our disclaimer and all its details, please click on the applicable link on our website.
The music provided for this episode is from:
Artist: Johnathan Pushkar
Album: Straighten Up (2019)
Composer: Johnathan Pushkar
Nocturne Movie Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AoGu5WxduM